Shonagh hosts the More Music Sunday every Sunday afternoon from 3.50pm.
1. Where are you from?
Wexford. I grew up there, left when I was eighteen to go to college in Dublin. I lived in Cork for a while and then moved back to my home town. It’s funny because when I left I never thought I’d end up back there but there’s a lot to be said for having your Mum and Dad close by!
2. What do you do at Beat? Your typical day…
Right now it’s all about the weekends as I’m presenting More Music Sunday. I’ll arrive in, prepare for the show, have a listen to what’s new and see if there’s any music news on the day. And every now and then you might hear me covering some weekday shifts.
3. What does your perfect day look like?
Waking up to sunshine, preferably in Ibiza. Eating out for breakfast, lunch and dinner. In between that I’d be drinking tea and eating custard slices!
4. How would your friends describe you?
I’d like to say funny, loyal and thoughtful but in the same breath they’d say ‘talks too much’, ‘laughs at her own jokes’ and is very annoying at a party as is always the one trying to start a song song when nobody else is up for it!
5. Recommend one place in the South East that, to you, is a ‘must-see’.
Curracloe Beach in Wexford, it’s beautiful and five minutes from where I live. On a winters day there is something pretty special about it.
6. Where is the most memorable place you have travelled to in the world and why?
My happy place is Cala Llonga in Ibiza. It’s a quiet part of the island, completely unspoiled and full of character. My uncle bought an apartment there when I was six and we have been going ever since. We call it the island of joy. There’s something about Ibiza, go once and chances are you’ll want to go back.
7. Tell us one thing that might surprise us about you.
I have an irrational fear of milk!
8. If you were a superhero, what special powers would you have?
Easiest question ever, I’m so nosy- if I was invisible I’d be in my element.
9. Who is your favourite music artist (band or solo) and why?
So tough. I’m going with the first thing that comes into my head. Beyoncé, I saw her in concert years ago and was blown away. That voice, those moves – when I grow up I’d like to be Beyoncé!
10. Name that one track everyone should listen to……
I’m totally going to cheat on this because one is too hard. Florence and the Machine – You’ve Got The Love and Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here. Add to that any 80’s cheese and that’s my lot!