Here’s a few tips that will help you increase your 5-a-day!
- Always keep fruit in sight in a fruit bowl. You are more likely to think of eating some if you see it! Keep sliced fruit or vegetable fingers at the front of your fridge where you will see them. That way you will think of snacking on fruit and veg instead of other treats when you go to the fridge.
- 1 dessertspoon of dried fruit counts as one of your 5-a-day. Add raisins to your porridge in the morning.
- Soup is a great way to add veggies, especially when it is cold outside. Try vegetable soups, tomato and basil or carrot and coriander. A bowl of vegetable soup counts as 1 of your 5-a-day.
- An avocado counts as 2 portions of your 5 a day. Why not spread some on brown bread and top with fresh sliced tomatoes- simple and delicious.
- A ½ tin of baked beans counts as one of your 5-a-day so try beans on toast or a poached egg and beans for breakfast.
- Fussy eaters? Why not try Centra’s hidden meatballs with tomato sauce! It’s delicious and counts as one of your 5 a day!
- Try a simple fruit dessert to help get one of your 5 a day- like frozen berry yogurt. Another fruit desert option is Centra’s simple banana and peanut butter ice cream- see Centra.ie for more details.
These tips are brought you by Centra and Sarah Keogh Consultant Dietician