Wells House and Gardens is a beautiful heritage property on 450 acres in North Wexford with the house and formal gardens designed by the renowned architect Daniel Robertson. This award winning tourism destination opened to the public in July 2012 and has grown to be a first class venue with a focus on customer experience and the continued restoration of the house and grounds.
Head Gardener Role;
Wells House and Gardens has a terrace garden, parterre garden, walled gardens, lake, arboretum and extensive native woodland. The areas of gardening work include herbaceous borders, native woodland conservation, plant propagation, garden restoration work, forest gardening, as well as working with garden machinery such as wood-chippers and leaf blowers.
The successful candidate will have demonstrable experience in a range of horticultural areas, a desire to expand their skills range and the energy and drive to work with a small team with a varied workload required to maintain and improve the estate.
Typical duties will include:
- General garden maintenance and management of all planting including specialist horticultural areas e.g. weeding, mulching, staking, deadheading
- Seasonal planting including bulbs, trees, etc.
- Pruning and renovation of trees and topiary
- Assisting with greenhouse management and maintenance
- Control of weeds
- Assisting with composting and waste disposal
- Pest and disease control
- Seasonal clearing of leaves, drains. etc.
- Management of habitats for biodiversity & rare species
- Grounds maintenance e.g. turf care, hedge trimming
- Woodland work e.g. coppicing, removal of invasive species and replanting
- BSc level qualification in Horticulture is required
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience working in a gardening position
- Excellent plant knowledge with a demonstrable range of horticultural skills
- Practical experience in organic gardening
- Ability to work independently
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Full clean driving licence
- Experience in permaculture
- An interest in garden history
- Experience of tool care and the safe operation of common garden machinery
To apply for this position please email Sabine your CV to [email protected]